"I have no special talent. I am only passionately curious." - Albert Einstein.
Passionate Data Science Engineer, Digitalization Consultant and IT Solutions Architect with a goal-oriented attitude.
I focus on solving problems through the application of Data Science (ML, Big Data) developing cutting edge technologies and discovering new ways to make life better for people.
I lead complex, multi-disciplinary engineering projects using my expertise of data engineering and passion for technology to accomplish goals within broad outlines provided by top management.
My career path took me as much in the industry as in the academy where I built a strong experience of Research & Development engineering and management with a practical approach to product innovation..
I possess in-depth expertise in the areas of Cloud Infrastructure & Data Science Services (HPC, Openshift, Kubernetes), Data Engineering (EIM, MDM), Data Mining (BigData, OLAP, BI), Decision Support & Expert Systems (AI, ML).
My domain knowledge of Real Estate & Facility Management (AEC/FM), Operation Management (Logistics), Process Manufacturing (Watch & Pharma Industry) and Life Sciences (Bioinformatics) allows me to confidently advocate enterprise strategies, solutions design, software and architecture.
My practitioner knowledge of methodologies and best practices like SaFE, Kanban, SCRUM, SDLC, Hermes, RUP, RE, TOGAF, ITIL round out my profile.
|Engineering Management||Software Development||Operations Management|
|Budget Development||Business Requirements||Product Strategy|
|Conduct Code & Arch. Review||Developing Prototypes & Hands-on Code||Iterative Project Management & Assessment|
|Staffing or Recruiting||Business Negotiation||Conflict Management|
|People Management||Process Improvement||Performance Management|
|Manage System, Business & User Requirements||Elicit and Unify Standards & Best-Practices||Manage System Release Processes (CI, CD)|
"We worked together in many projects. What he promises, he delivers and, every time, I learned something new. Giovanni is a great professional."
"As coworker and Human Resources Manager, I would hire him again wholeheartedly. He earned my trust!"
Research & Development
Information and Communication Technologies Development; Software Programming, Information Security & Privacy, Blockchains, Cryptography & Enterprise Security, Electronic Health Records. Knowledge Recognition, Knowledge Management, Predictive Analytics and Industry 4.0. Distributed systems, Parallel and High-Performance Computing; Stochastic and deterministic simulation systems. Computational Science, Machine Intelligence, Decision Support Systems, Context Aware Systems, Machine Learning Systems. Hollistic Building Management Systems, AEC&FM Digitalization, Express/IFC/BIM, Real Estate and Facility Management, Preventive Maintenance, Condition Monitoring, Additive Manufacturing Technologies (3D-Scanning, -Printing), ITIL and IaaS/PaaS/SaaS.
Platforms & Tools
University and Professional Teaching
Experience in direct and distance learning. Preparation of programmes of study, course contents and teaching materials. Supervision and coordination of students. Fields: Project Management, Agile Software Development, CAFM, CAD, Financial Statistics, Requirements Engineering, IT Service Management Practices, UML and BIM Modeling. Professional Teaching of C/C++ for Real-time Control Systems.
Industrial Distributed Control Systems & Networking
Real-time Systems, Machine Learning, Deep Learning Applications, Edge Computing, Industrial IOT, and Time Sensitive Network (TSN), Automation & Manufacturing Systems, VPN, LLDP, MPLS, Routing Protocols, High Avalibility architectures and technologires, Software Defined Networking (Openflow,Cumulus Linux).
"The only source of knowledge is experience." - Albert Einstein.
Versatile GmbhData Science Architect and Digitalization Consultant, President
The missing link between your Data Scientist and Data Engineer. I Identify new market opportunities, add value, and solve meaningful real-world problems. I analyze companies needs and develop strategy to generate value from data. At Versatile, we are committed to respect political and budget constraints, leverage partnerships, integrate with existing programs and continually monitor and evaluate effectiveness.
Our work philosophy is best resumed by our Versatile Mantra:
- Gemba, we identify a problem or a need by engaging with stakeholders, going in the field where all is happening, actively discussing and asking questions in our client''s context.
- Kaizen, we engage in applied research, by using systematic problem-solving methods to design solutions that match the definition of the problem or need.
- Heijunka, we prepare for rollout and build systems using continuous improvement and fluid approach to product or feature development.
- Jidoka, we implement to scale using robust continuous integration process for solution validation and reliability engineering using intelligent automation.
Carlo Vanoli AG Thawil, GleisbauSenior ICT Engineer & Data Science Architect
I lead the Machine And Business Intelligence Competence-Center (MBICC, /ɛm bɪʧ/) to build a Preventive Maintenance and Malfunction Detection Service to monitor and predict machine condition in harsh environment.
- Design a deep learning application for automatic fault detection to deploy in Edge Cloud Computing Systems within Time Sensitive Network (TSN) for the Railway and Automotive Industry.
- Realization of a Deep Learning Platform (Flume/Kafka/Hive/Spark) using Manycore Processors.
- Study of Condition Based Monitoring (CBM); Design Vibration monitoring systems using Neural classification system with Convolutional neural networks (CNN) for Decision-making and Analytics.
- Develop the specifications of Hybrid/Edge Coud Computing Industrial IoT (IIOT) system (FPGA, RTOS, Linux) and communications (WAN, TSN and Ethernet/IP, LORA) adapted to harsh environments.
- Study the electrification of Heavy Industries Rolling Stock vehicles, energy production/storage and their battery management systems.
- Realization of an electrical laboratory for the development and measurement of embedded systems together with a workshop for the repair and maintenance including a test station for AC equipment.
ZHAW School of Life Sciences and Facility ManagementLead Architect & HPC Platform Manager
I am responsible for the High-Performance Computing (HPC) Center and lead the HPC Science Engineering Competence-Center of the ZHAW School of Life Sciences & FM.
- Design, Build and Maintain the HPC Central Infrastructure comprising Facility, Security, Networks, Archives and Clusters.
- Manage the service end-to-end availability and performance and directly responsible for uptime record.
- Design, implement and deliver software to improve the availability, scalability, latency, and efficiency of parallel computation, storage and archiving services.
- Lead SRE Engineers and Research-staff by the example.
- Establish credibility with the quality of my own and team's technical execution.
- Coach, mentor and advise Research Institutes, Scientific Personal and Post.-Doc. Students to model, integrate, process, distribute, store and archive their scientific data efficiently.
- Optimization of scientific algorithms to compute efficiently on massively parallel processors array (NVIDIA Tesla) and distributed processing systems like BIG_DATA or DEEP-LEARNING clusters (Cloudera).
- Migration and optimization of 3 legacy scientific clusters to modern HPC infrastructure using Software Defined Networking (SDN, CUMULUS LINUX), Parallel FS, Manycore Processors (SLURM, OpenCL, OpenMP, CUDA).
- Deployment and maintenance of a large cloud infrastructure (Kubernetes, Openstack), with a mix of virtualization (VMWare ESXI, XEN) and containerized technologies (LXC, Docker, CRIO).
ZHAW Zurich University of Applied Sciences with special skillsResearch Assistant in ICT Engineering
I am undertaking the ICT-Driven AEC/FM Applied Research, and functions as CTO in ICT-driven AEC/FM Applied Research Projects.
- Acquisition, management and implementation of application-oriented research projects with third-party funding.
- Market and group-oriented marketing of research and project results in events and publications.
- Development and implementation of courses at Bachelor's and Master's level as well as in further education, including supervision of project/Bachelor's and Master's theses.
- Coaching of interdisciplinary teams and mentoring of Master and Postdoc students.
- Teaching at Bachelor's and Master's level as well as in the continuing education
- Manage Software & Project Quality Assurance (CMMI, SQA) in research and development projects.
- Manage cross-functional research projects (SCRUM, BALANCED SCORECARDS)
- Leading by example, developing protypes and contributing with hands-on code.
- Contribute to research projects in the area of in APPLIED MATHEMATICS, NUMERICAL ANALYSIS, COMPUTER SIMULATION of physical systems Software-Programming & -Architecture concepts in SCIENTIFIC COMPUTING FOR LIFE SCIENCES & FM.
- Contribute to research projects in the area of AEC/FM Building Holistic Management Services, Enterprise Computing, Distributed Computing & Cloud Computing for Life Sciences & FM.
- Successful CTO, ENGINEERING MANAGER. & SCIENTIST in 3 EU ICT Science Projects (EU-FP5, EU-AAL) and 3 Swiss National Science and Innovation Projects (KTI, FNSNF).
- Advisor & Coach in: Mastering Agile Requirement Engineering (AGILE RE) for Businesses and Research.
- University Lecturer in ENTERPRISE DIGITAL TRANSFORMATION (6 semesters), REQUIREMENTS ENGINEERING (6 semesters), STATISTICS I AND II (4 semesters) for Facility Management Bachelor and Master Students.
- Achieve research and academic excellence leading cross-disciplinary research projects using SCRUM-, CLASSICAL- AND HYBRID-FRAMEWORKS.
- Integrate Legacy Services and private Hybrid-Cloud Platform with Native Cloud Platform Services (Azure, AWS, GCP, OPENSHIFT, OPENSTACK).
- Planning & implementing Cloud Networking (SOFTWARE DEFINE NETWORK, CYBER-SECURITY).
- Develop a highly secure (SSO, IDAAS) and privacy-aware (IRM, HEALTH RECORDS) Mental Health Portal Cloud (JAVA, LIFERAY, WEB 3.0, BIGDATA, MACHINE LEARNING) for EU-Wide stakeholders’ communities.
- Initiated and executed the development of a modern collaboration system (OSS, ALFRESCO, BPM, WEB 2.0, WEB 3.0) and managed the security, IT Cloud, and facility resources needed to maintain a large cross-institute employee community network.
- Development of a data integration solution (RDF/RQL, EXPRESS) for context-dependent (WEB 3.0) mobile information systems (PDA) to provide a FEDERATED DBMS to connect existing databases (ERD/SQL) by means of a SUPPLY-CHAIN ARCHITECTURE (XML, UN/EDIFACT).
- Successful Design, Implementation and Operationalization Data Processing Systems (APACHE BEAM, APACHE SPARK AND HADOOP ECOSYSTEM, APACHE KAFKA)
VISCOM Visual Communications AGSenior Information and Communication Technology Engineer
I was responsible in the R&D group to programm industrial drivers and I helped in the development of the next generation of distributed and industrial process control systems. Implement Industrial Software & Hardware using HIL/SIL simulation (AMESIM, C, MODELICA); Microsoft certified COM+, OPC, RPC, DCOM developer for industrial applications; Expert in Industrial Networking (IP/ETHERNET, MODBUS-TCP, CANOPEN). As part of my consulting services, I taught real-time system programming and distributed computation to other professionals of large corporations like Siemens, Alcatel-Lucent, Hofmann-LaRoche, Rolex and Swatch Group, our clients.
ROLEX S.A.Lead Electronic and Software Engineer
As Electronic and Software Engineer I was responsible for the conception of system of measure and production.
I was involved in the development of real time automated vision systems, artificial intelligence and distributed computing systems. I design and develop Cyber Physical Systems for the entire Supply Chain and Quality Assurance of the watch movements production: ASIC/PLD for Artificial Vision and Digital PID Controllers; Machine Perception and Intelligence. I conceived digital and analog industrial control parts and developed advanced Mixed Reality and Human-Robot Interaction, 3D Vision Systems and Embedded Systems.
As Lead Engineer and Development Engineer, I managed multi-disciplinary teams and provided consultancy services to our suppliers and clients. I became a Skilled Practitioner in System Engineering, Critical thinking and Project Management.